Eggs are a savior! When you are out of ideas or out of veggies and want a quick meal, then its egg all around. And this lovely egg has always come to rescue whenever me and my family had to rush. It’s definitely loaded into my weekly grocery bag without a thought. And this recipe is built in our reflexes when it comes to combining something with Chapati or lunch time Rice and Daal combo. We prefer our egg dish quite hot, so we never pack it in lunch boxes.
The egg roast is made with all the regular Indian spices with a flavoring of Kasuri Methi or dried Fenugreek leaves to leverage the smell and taste. It’s a quick dish made with loads of onions to enhance the sweetness of the dish and tomatoes for the tangy twist to coat the egg and offer a proper balance of all tastes.
The recipe goes like this:
- Boiled Eggs – 6 large
- Onion – 1 whole big sized, finely chopped
- Tomatoes – 2 , finely chopped
- Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 tbsp
- Green chillies – 2-4 slit
- Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Cumin Powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1 pinch
- Red chili Powder – 1 tsp
- Salt – according to the taste
- Coriander Leaves – for garnishing
- Vegetable Oil – 2 tbsp
Steps of Preparation:
- Perfectly hard boil the eggs, i.e. Boil the eggs for 20-25 mins, then drain the hot water and add cold water and keep it covered for 10 mins. This helps in keeping the eggs hard boiled and also peeling off is easy.
- Slice the hard boiled eggs to perfect halves.
- Heat a wide bottomed pan, add the vegetable oil.
- After 2 mins, add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves and green chilies and let it temper.
- Then add the ginger garlic paste and let it cook till the raw smell goes off.
- Add the dry powdered spices like coriander powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder, red chili powder and salt and cook for a minute.
- Onions are next added to the pan and cooked till golden brown.
- Add the tomatoes and cook till the oil oozes out, followed by the addition of dried fenugreek leaves.
- After the gravy looks perfectly cooked and smells aromatic add the eggs and give it toss.
Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.