Mushroom Besara or Mushroom in Mustard Flavorings
Everyone says I look the same as my mom. But more than the truth that we look alike, we share so many things in common. This dish I am going to state is something very close to both of us. My mom is a vegetarian and the food that we both consider for luxurious delight Sunday platter is “Mushroom “. Dad being allergic to mushrooms could never be the part of this lovely dish. But to my surprise my husband turned into one in the queue who keeps on craving for this dish.
As you have seen I have written recipes on mustard flavorings. This dish is a traditional Odiya Mushroom dish that shows how tempting it turns out with the touch of Mustard.
The Mushroom in Mustard Flavoring/ Chattu Besara recipe goes like this:
- Mushroom – 250 gms
- Potato – 1 Medium sized
- Mustard Paste – 2tbsp
- Panch Phoran – 1 tsp
- Green chilies – 2 pieces finely chopped
- Dry Mango or Ambula – 2 slices
- Turmeric Powder – 2 tsp
- Salt – According to the taste
- Mustard Oil – 2 tbsp
- Soak the Dry mango in a small cup for 30mins prior to the cooking.
- Clean the mushrooms and pat dry.
- Cut the mushrooms into thin slices and soak in turmeric water and Potato to thin slices and soak in the water
- Heat a pan and add oil to it after it’s heated up.
- Squeeze excess water from the mushroom and add to pan.
- Cook the mushrooms till all the water is evaporated and it dried up and cooked properly.
- Heat another pan and add oil to it, Once the oil gets heated, add the Panch Phoran, if not available you can use Cumin seeds as a replacement. After it crackles add the chopped green chilies.
- Add the potatoes and saute it for 4-5 mins.
- After the potato is semi cooked, add the mustard paste.
- Add the turmeric powder and salt to the pan.
- Cook it for 2-3 mins and then cover the pan with a lid and let it cook for 4-5 mins.
- After the potatoes are cooked properly, add the mushroom and mix it well.
- Then add the soaked dry mango and the water it was soaked and cook till all the gravy dries off for a drier version you can add more water if you want a gravy version.