Indulging oneself in food is so much fun. You try learning the basics, then start researching for it’s history, try out few fusions with the local flavors and then comes out a beautiful recipe. It’s so surprising to notice that the trend of food we eat doesn’t limit to our boundaries, but rather spreads its horizon across boundaries. Gujiya is one such recipe.
- Coconut – 1 whole (finely grated)
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Cashew Nuts – handful
- Cardamom – 4 pieces, crushed (or use 1 teaspoon of cardamom powder)
- All purpose Flour – 2 cups
- Clarified Butter / Ghee – 2 tsp for Kneading
- Vegetable Oil / Clarified Butter – For deep frying
- Take a wide bottomed pan and heat it for 2 mins.
- Put the desiccated coconut or the grated coconut in the heated pan.
- Fry it approximately for 3-4 mins.
- Add a cup of sugar to the semi-fried coconut and saute it for 2-3 mins.
- Crush the cashew nuts and cardamom, add the crushed ingredients to the fried stuffing for enhanced flavors.
For the Outer Covering:
- Take 2 cups of all purpose flours in a wide bottomed vessel.
- Add 2 tablespoons of clarified butter.
- Rub the flour along with the clarified butter to bring it to a proper consistency.
- Slowly add the water to the flour and knead the dough.
- After the dough is kneaded, make small sized balls as you make it for Puri.
- Roll the balls to make Puri.
- Add the stuffing to the center of the Puri as shown below.
- Gently fold the Puri, bringing two edges of the pure together, ensuring the stuffing is properly laid inside.
- After folding, make pleates with the hands as shown below or use different moulds available in the stores.
My mother showing how to fold a Gujiya
- Take a wide bottomed pan and add oil for frying.
- Let the oil heat up properly for deep frying, in order to ensure proper temperature of the frying oil. Add a small piece of dough and see it fries up with sprinkles all around.
- After the oil is properly heated up, add the folded Gujiyas to the oil, turn sides.
- Fry it till golden brown on both sides, place it paper towels to remove excess oil.