Egg is one such ingredient which comes to rescue when you are out of stock and have no time for groceries. It’s even the best friend for a no pro cooking day. You simply make any dish in any format and it’s a great dish to enjoy with anything. Ever since we shifted, nothing seems to be falling in place. I know the time would manage a lot of things. But for the time now, blogging has taken a back seat. However, I have not stopped cooking a bit. Cooking the meals fresh has become a real passion for me. They say eating fresh food has altogether a different charm, and ever since the little one has come to our life we learnt so many basics of life. And when I don’t have any time or ingredient, nothing other than Anda Aloo Jhola comes to the rescue.
Speaking about this recipe, it’s a thin curry made with Egg and Potatoes tossed in the Onions, Ginger-Garlic and Tomato gravy and cooked with a sprinkle of Garam Masala. This is served with a bowl of hot rice or rotis. I can eat it umpteen times without any decline in interest. So here goes one more easy peasy recipe for your everyday meal.
- Large Eggs – 5
- Medium sized Potatoes – 3
- Tomato – 1 medium sized, finely chopped
- Onion – 1 medium sized, finely chopped
- Garlic Cloves – 2 large
- Ginger – 1/2 inch
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Coriander seeds – 1 tsp
- Red chilies – 3
- Bay Leaves – 1
- Cinnamon Stick – 1
- Cardamom – 2 pods
- Mustard Oil – 2 tbsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp
- Salt – according to taste
- Coriander leaves – for garnishing
- Green Chilies – 2, slit
Steps of Preparation:
- Firstly, boil the Eggs and Potatoes in medium high for about 20 mins, until the eggs are hard boiled and potatoes are cooked firmly.
- In the meantime, make a coarse ground paste of coriander seeds, cumin seeds, red chilies, ginger and garlic.
- Once Egg and Potatoes are cooled, peel off the egg and potatoes and cut the potatoes to two equal halves.
- Heat a wide bottomed vessel, and add mustard oil to it. Gently fry the boiled eggs and potatoes in separate batches.
- Once done, to the same oil, add the whole spices like Bay Leaves, Cinnamon and Cardamom and gently toss it for a minute.
- Add the finely chopped onions to the whole spices and cook it till softened and the raw smell goes off.
- Next, when the onions are cooked, add the coarsely ground paste and cook it till the oil oozes out of the mixture.
- Then add the turmeric and salt and saute.
- The tomatoes are added later to the mixture and cooked till the oil oozes out.
- 2 cups of water is further added and brought to a boil. Then add the potatoes and egg and cook it for 2 mins. I didn’t let it shimmer a lot as I wanted a very thin gravy.
- Finally, add the coriander leaves and green chilies.
Once done serve it hot with Roti or Rice and a simple Raita makes a wholesome platter.